The monastery church on the Fraueninsel
The monastery church on the Fraueninsel is one of the oldest Christian places of worship in Southern Germany. This region was Christianized in the 7th century by Irkutish wandering monks, who came from Scotland and Ireland to this region and built their mission station in Salzburg.
The Irish traveling missionary and saint, Virgil (~ 700-784), monk of the Scottish Abbey of Iona on the same island and builder of the first cathedral in Salzburg, consecrated as bishop of Salzburg on 1 September 782 the monastery church of the Duke of Bavaria Tassilo III. donated nunnery. This is documented.
Until the secularization of 1803, the abbey Frauenchiemsee belonged to the Archdiocese of Salzburg and was then assigned to the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising.
A short tour through the minster Frauenwörth ...