The sarcophagus was established in 1641 by Abbess Magdalena Haidenbucher. It is a simple, small sarcophagus of red marble (to receive the bones of Blessed Irmengard, disinterred in 1631, and which rested there from1641-1927), encased in a wooden housing which has been painted on all sides. Blessed Irmengard is depicted on the lid (1641, restored 1771, 1829 and 2003). The sarcophagus stands behind iron railings which were built at the same time.
In the Irmengard Altar in the Irmengard Chapel behind the High Altar is a glass cabinet containing the bones of the blessed abbess, who was beatified in 1929. Numerous votive tablets and burning candles bear testimony to the faith of believers down to the present day.
The right-hand side entrance, next to the staircase leading up to the organ loft, leads into the abbey’s Äbtissinnengang, now only accessible during guided tours.
The corridor takes its name from the rows of portraits of former abbesses, established by Sabina Preyndorffer around 1600, from which point on the portraits are considered to be true likenesses.
The painted cross is one of the very few surviving examples of Romanesque panel painting, dating from the early 13th century, though painted over in 1536.